As with all surveys and studies the details of the data are important. The data for this survey was collected and published by OnBoard and came with this note:
On Board's Neighborhood Content is drawn from an extensive array of sources, including:Also, it is unclear if these costs include capital spending (from the numbers I see floating around I would guess not, but that's just a guess) or how costs are normalized to make apples to apples comparisons. However, it is clear that DC does indeed spend near top on a per-student basis, yet continues to deliver near the bottom with respect to achievement.
• US Census Bureau estimates and projections, including latest monthly estimates for population at the city level
• Bureau of Labor for employment data by industry and occupation
• Internal Revenue Service statistics on tax filers and year-to-year migration
• Experian's Performance Data System (PDS) for household level credit and demographics
• Experian MOSAIC for lifestyle segmentation
• Federal Bureau of Investigation and local sources for crime information
Recent Sales Transactions are compiled primarily from leading regional and national public records providers as well as individual municipalities around the country.
On Board works with several industry leaders and government agencies in the aggregation of School Information. All records are phone verified for accuracy at least once per year.