Wednesday, July 20, 2005
More chemical problems at DCPS
While moving a storage locker containing cleaning supplies two contractors were exposed to a chemical vapor cloud at Sousa Middle School. Officials believe that one of the chemicals stored inside the locker was muriatic acid, used to clean bricks, which formed the vapor cloud when it reacted with either other chemicals or the metal locker itself. The two contractors, who complained of irritated eyes and sore throats, were treated at the scene, then moved to Providence Hospital for further precautionary observation. School officials are trying to determine if the chemicals should have been in the school or were supposed to have been removed.