Anyhoo, pre-K and out-of-boundary enrollment for DCPS began on Jan 29th. Here's the announcement from DCPS.
DC Public Schools Announces Start of 2009/2010 Out-of-Boundary Enrollment ProcessThe DCPS website also has letters about enrollment and out-of-boundary issues from each of their schools here.
Administration makes more options available for DC families, centralizes lottery process
WASHINGTON, DC – This week District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) began distributing letters to families announcing the start of the 2009/2010 Out-of-Boundary Enrollment Process. This process provides families the option to apply to have their child attend a school other than the school(s) assigned to them.
Yesterday, DCPS began accepting applications online at www.k12.dc.us/options and in person at every school. The last day for submissions is March 13, and the out-of-boundary enrollment
lottery will be held on March 18.
This year will be the first time all lotteries are conducted centrally to improve transparency and ensure that each school has the same standards for fairness and efficiency. As DCPS continues to make critical systematic improvements, the enrollment process will ensure that families have the opportunity to send their children to schools that meet their needs and that have the resources to deliver an excellent education.
"School choice is a vital part of empowering parents to advocate for their child’s success," said Mayor Adrian M. Fenty. "This reform effort is ultimately about guaranteeing that every single school is a viable option, regardless of ward or grades served."
Changes to this year’s Out-of-Boundary process include:
“We are creating a system of schools designed to provide a seamless path from Pre-K through 12th grade,” said Chancellor Michelle Rhee. “This administration is not satisfied with just pockets of excellence, we want District parents to view DCPS as the best option for their child regardless of their zip code.”
- More options for every child in the District
- A longer application period allowing parents more time to weigh their options
- Parents can now apply for up to five out-of-boundary schools
- A centralized lottery process for all schools, which will be random selection not first come first serve, thus parents can take advantage of the full application period ending on March 13
- Students who attend an out-of-boundary school currently will, as of 2009/2010, have a right to attend the school into which their current DCPS school feeds, previously students only had a preference to attend the school and had to re-apply through the out-of-boundary process
In addition to the Out-of-boundary process, applications for pre-kindergarten and pre-school can also be submitted between January 28, 2009 and March 13, 2009 through the DCPS website or at each school. If a school has more applicants than available slots, it will participate in the random selection lottery on March 18.
For additional information, including a list of Frequently Asked Questions parents can visit www.k12.dc.us/options, contact their child’s school directly or call the DCPS Critical Response Team at (202) 442-5885.